Government - Internal City StructureBusiness - Tools For GrowthServices - Provided by the CityCommunity - Resident EngagementEnjoy Norfolk - Leisure & VisitorsHow Do I - Information Center
Elizabeth River with a Tugboat, Sailboat and the USS Wisconsin
Click to Home

Go To Search
New Resident Guide - Utilities
Water and Sewer Services (Norfolk Department of Utilities)
Norfolk’s Department of Utilities provides top quality drinking water and sanitary sewer services for residents and businesses.  To establish or close a customer account, please contact our customer service office at 757-664-6700.  Our customer service hours are 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, except holidays. If you see a water main break or a sewer overflow, immediately call our 24-hour emergency number at 757-823-1000.  For more information on water quality, water and sewer services, reservoir management, or infrastructure improvements, click here. 

Hampton Roads Utility Bill Service (HRUBS)

HRUBS handles the municipal services for water, wastewater collection, trash collection and storm water drainage. All are included on a single HRUBS City services bill. In addition, the Hampton Roads Sanitation District (HRSD) includes fees for wastewater treatment and administration. The fees for water, wastewater collection and treatment are based upon the customer’s measured water consumption. The storm water fee is a flat residential rate or a commercial rate based on the amount of a business’ impervious service (i.e., rooftops, driveways and parking lots). The storm water fee funds drainage maintenance, facility and infrastructure improvements, and street sweeping operations. Residential trash collection and recycling fees are also based upon a flat monthly rate and the number of containers for each residence.

To set up an account or online payment, visit them at:

Dominion Power
Dominion is one of the nation’s largest producers and transporters of energy, with a portfolio of approximately 27,400 megawatts of generation, 11,000 miles of natural gas transmission, gathering and storage pipeline and 6,300 miles of electric transmission lines. To establish an electrical services, call 1-866-366-4357 or visit them at:

Southeast Public Service Authority (SPSA)
SPSA is the solid waste management agency for Hampton Roads that owns and operates the region’s landfills, transfer stations and household hazardous waste collection stations.  For more information:

Norfolk residents should take household hazardous waste to the City of Norfolk Division of Waste Management, 1176 Pineridge Road, Monday through Saturday, 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Call 441-5813 with questions. Or:

Norfolk Transfer Station located at 3136 Woodland Ave. from 9am to noon on the first Saturday and fourth Wednesday of each month.

Virginia Natural Gas
Residents can set up an account by calling 1-866-229-3578 from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m., Monday through Friday, and on Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. For the shortest possible wait times, try calling between Tuesday afternoon and Thursday, if possible. You can email the Virginia Natural Gas Customer Care Center at . For cost savings and general information visit them at: