Government - Internal City StructureBusiness - Tools For GrowthServices - Provided by the CityCommunity - Resident EngagementEnjoy Norfolk - Leisure & VisitorsHow Do I - Information Center
Elizabeth River with a Tugboat, Sailboat and the USS Wisconsin
Click to Home

Go To Search

Special Events logo
Special Event Permits
A special event permit is required to hold an event on City property. The type of event, expected attendance and location will determine the type of application and permit required. 

The Special Events Office does not issue permits for private property, federal property, or NRHA property. 

Private Property Event Permits are issued by the Development Services Center.  
Business owners wishing to apply for a permit can download the form online or fill it out in-person at the Development Services Center located on the 4th floor of City Hall 810 Union Street.   

Special Events may include, but are not limited to:

  • Festivals
  • Runs / Walks / Bike Races
  • Concerts & Performances
  • Block Parties & Street Festivals 
  • Community, Cultural & Church Gatherings
  • Carnivals & Amusements
  • Weddings & Birthday Parties
  • Family & Neighborhood Reunions
  • Commerical Parades

Despite attendance, ANY event on a street (with the exception of small neighborhood/community block parties) must complete the Large Event Permit Application.

Small Event Permit
Special events with 0-199 in expected attendance.

Large Event Permit
Special events with 200+ in expected attendance.