Contacting City Council During COVID-19
Until further notice, all city buildings, including City Hall, will remain closed to the public. Employees continue to report to work remotely. City Council members may be reached via their email or the City Council inbox (email@example.com). You may also leave a question or concern by calling 757-664-4268. Phone messages will be monitored during normal business hours.
Meetings - COVID-19 Update
PLEASE TAKE NOTICE that the Council of the City of Norfolk will hold a Work Session on TUESDAY, JUNE 2, 2020, at 4:00 p.m., in the City Hall Building, 10th Floor Conference Room.
The meeting will be held as an electronic meeting pursuant to and in accordance with Ordinance 47,967. The public may electronically obtain a copy of the meeting notification/agenda on or before Friday, May 29, 2020, online at www.norfolk.gov.
There will be no public comment at this Work Session.
Public access to listen to or observe the meeting in real-time without attending the meeting in person will be available through these platforms:
- For Norfolk Residents on NorfolkTV-48
- Through livestream on the City’s website:
- Through WebEx Video:
- Meeting Number 479 737 873
- Password: council2020#
- Through WebEx Phone:
- Access Code: 479 737 873
- Password: council2020#
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View our City Council Members.
The City Council:
- Establishes policy for the city
- Approves the budget
- Levies its taxes
- Appoints the:
- City Assessor
- City Attorney
- City Auditor
- City Clerk
- City Manager
The council also appoints members to the Norfolk Redevelopment and Housing Authority, Planning Commission and other boards and commissions, as well as city representatives to regional and other boards and authorities.
- Norfolk is a national leader in the quality of life offered to all its citizens.
- This is achieved through effective partnerships between city government and its constituents.
- As a result, Norfolk is a physically attractive, socially supportive, and financially sound city.
- Here, the sense of community is strong.
- Neighborhoods are designed so that people of all ages can know their neighbors and travel the streets and sidewalks safely.
- The sense of community exists citywide.
- Norfolk is known nationally as a strategically located place where there are abundant and fulfilling employment, recreational, and educational opportunities.