Adopt-a-Spot is an enjoyable and educational litter program that gives local communities the opportunity to contribute to a healthier and cleaner environment. It engages volunteers (individuals, community groups, business groups) to undertake coordinated litter cleanups of designated sites in Norfolk. Keep Norfolk Beautiful manages this program through the Department of Public Works’ Waste Management Division.
Adopt-A-Spot Hub Site
Keep Norfolk Beautiful’s (KNB) Adopt-A-Spot (AAS) Hub site is our newest volunteer engagement platform! Using the tools of ESRI ArcGIS Online, KNB’s Hub is an online gathering place enabling volunteers to track cleanup hours, view a map of Adopt-A-Spot locations, report activities, and access program documents.
The real power of this tool, however, is the Hub’s ability to visualize volunteers’ work in real-time, share stories of our efforts, and highlight programs and people that will inspire others to keep Norfolk beautiful.
How the program works
- Register for Adopt-A-Spot.
- Complete our online Adopt-A-Spot training.
- Commit to maintain your spot for a minimum of two years.
- Schedule your supply pick-up. **Appointments are required.**
- Conduct your cleanup event.
- Leave trash bags in City Right of Way for collection and call 757-441-1347 with location.
- Submit sign-in sheet and report from after each cleanup.
- Continue to clean your spot/street at least four times a year (once every three months).