What You Put On Your Lawn Matters! Let Bay Star Homes Help.
Bay Star Homes wants to help you keep your lawn green and clean while protecting our natural habitat and promoting cleaner waterways. We are offering free soil testing to all Bay Star Homes residents.
A soil test will evaluate your soil’s nutrient potential and determine the most beneficial application rates of fertilizer and lime for plant growth. With this information you will be ready to apply the necessary rates of fertilizer and lime to achieve optimum growth of your lawn, garden, or landscape trees and shrubs without over fertilizing and causing excess runoff when it rains and polluting Norfolk’s rivers and the Chesapeake Bay.
There are thousands of lawns in Norfolk and the pollution adds up! Do your part to help save our Bay!
To take advantage of your free soil test:
1. Make sure you are a Bay Star Home member or or sign up for free: Bay Star Home
2. Pick up your soil test kit:
Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Department of Public Works
Division of Environmental Storm Water
2233 McKann Avenue
Norfolk, VA 23509
Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Virginia Cooperative Extension, Norfolk Office
830 Southhampton Avenue
Norfolk, VA 23510
3. Take your sample using the instructions provided with soil kit.
4. Drop off your sample at the Division of Environmental Storm Water, Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
(If you did not get your soil test from us, make sure you fill out our form at drop-off.)
Soil tests will be sent to the Soil Testing Laboratory at Virginia Tech for testing on the 1st of each month.
5. Once completed, we will send you your detailed soil test report, along with an easy-to-read chart and
recommendations for fertilizing and liming.