Recreation, Parks & Open Space (RPOS)
COVID-19 Important Updates
Effective immediately, visitors to city buildings are required to wear face coverings over their nose and mouth indoors, regardless of vaccination status.
Indoor group sports are prohibited at this time in RPOS facilities.
Patrons must wear a face covering while exercising and pool use will be limited to one swimmer in each lane. City staff will continue to provide enhanced cleaning for high-touch areas. Read more...
After School Program
Effective September 20, the following centers* have NEW hours:
Hours of Operations: Mon. - Fri. 12:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.; Sat. 11:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
*Max capacity is 40 people within a 3-hour time period.
The following facilities are open Monday – Saturday:
Berkley Community Center
Huntersville Community Center
East Ocean View Community Center
Norview Community Center
Lamberts Point Community Center
Titustown Community Center (M-F only)
The remaining centers are open during the days noted*:
Bayview Community Center: Mondays
Crossroads Community Center: Tuesdays
Fairlawn Recreation Center: Wednesdays
Sherwood Forest Recreation Center: Thursdays
Tarrallton Recreation Center: Fridays
*These facilities are also open M-F for the after school program, 2:30 p.m. - 6 p.m.
NEW Programming - Esports
We now offer year-round Esports tournaments and leagues for youth and adults. Sign up today!
- All visitors who have been fully vaccinated no longer need to wear a mask. Visitors who have not been fully vaccinated are asked to wear a face covering.
- Playgrounds, basketball courts and picnic shelters are open but they are not sanitized or disinfected. Stay Healthy! Practice good hygiene & hand washing after use.
- Outdoor pools, and splash pads will remain closed until further notice.
- School parks will remain closed until further notice.
- City-wide boat ramps are open.
- Northside skate park, neighborhood parks and public tennis courts are open
Kayak Launch Update
- The Lavalette Kayak Launch has been removed due to water damage.
Splash Pad Update
- The Shoop Park splash pad is currently open.
Norfolk’s Department of Recreation, Parks and Open Space is proud to announce its national accreditation by the Commission for Accreditation of Parks and Recreation Agencies. This ensures we will continue to provide quality recreational services that enrich the lives of Norfolk’s residents.
Virtual Activities - Downloads
Combine all of the sheets to create one poster.
- FY 2020 RPOS Annual Report (PDF)
- Overview of the Department of Recreation, Parks and Open Space (RPOS) structure (PPT). Physical copies are available for public review at each department facility.