Out of an abundance of caution, the Department of Public Works’ Waste Management Division has modified it’s services, in response to COVID-19:
Trash and recycling collection will continue. The driver will not get out of the truck to pick up any trash not in a can.
The City is resuming bulk and yard waste collections beginning the week of May 11. Waste Management crews retrofitted trucks and revised collection methods which allow employees to ride together and safely collect yard and bulk waste.
- Yard waste collection will be picked up on the resident’s normal collection date. For more than 20 bags, residents must schedule a bulk waste pickup.
- The initial bulk waste schedule will be modified, and collections limited. Pickup could be delayed.
- Residents must schedule all bulk waste pickups using the MyNorfolk online portal, mobile app or call Norfolk Cares at 664-6510. Collection will take place on the resident’s normal trash collection day.
- Any scheduled pickups not collected, will be picked up the following week. If possible, remove items from the curb that were not collected.
- Residents who set out bulk waste that has not been scheduled may receive a Notice of Violation.
Effective Saturday May 9, 2020 and until further notice, SPSA is reinstating regular RESIDENTIAL WEEKEND HOURS at the Norfolk Transfer Station. The Norfolk Transfer Station will be open for residents Saturdays, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. and Sundays, noon – 4 p.m. Location: Norfolk Transfer Station, 3136 Woodland Avenue Norfolk, VA 23504. Residents dropping off bulk items are asked to observe social distancing guidelines at the transfer stations.
Make a Request
- Request an additional container or container repair.
- Citizens may come to the Waste Management facility located at 1176 Pineridge Road between 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. to pick-up/exchange containers. After ringing the doorbell, they will be greeted at the front door by a Waste Management employee wearing latex gloves. The citizen will wait outside under a covered entrance while staff print out the work order and take a photocopy of the resident’s driver’s license. Staff will return the license to the resident and direct them to drive around to the back of the Admin building where they will be met by another WM employee at which time the container serial number will be recorded and the resident will sign the work order. Resident should call 441-1176 to confirm a pick up time, as the Admin office is operating with minimal staff.
- Request a bulk waste collection (request must be received no later than 3:00 p.m. on the day before collection).
- All service issues must be reported within 24 hours, following collection day.