Mobile Crisis Services
Child and Adolescent Mobile Crisis provides face-to-face short-term mental health services initiated during a crisis or when child or adolescent is experiencing an increase in problematic behaviors or emotional distress. Services are designed to help the child or adolescent and family cope with an immediate crisis or stressors.
The purpose of this service is to provide prompt crisis intervention with the goal of preventing psychiatric hospitalization, to prevent exacerbation of a condition, and to prevent injury to child or adolescent or others.
The Child and Adolescent Mobile Crisis team serves any family with a child or adolescent who resides in Norfolk, up to age 17, who is experiencing an emotional or behavioral crisis in the community. There are no insurance requirements. No prior mental health diagnosis is necessary.
The services provided in Child and Adolescent Mobile Crisis Program are as follows:
- Crisis assessment offered within one business day
- Crisis counseling (individual and family)
- Case management (linkage to community resources and ongoing services)
When You Should Make a Crisis Call?
If child or adolescent is behaving in threatening manner:
- Intent to harm others, physical and /or verbal aggression
- Extreme acting out behavior
- Escalating disruptive behaviors with others
If child or adolescent is experiencing a current psychiatric crisis:
- Bizarre behavior
- Disorganized thinking
- Extreme mood swings
- Auditory or visual hallucinations (while not under the influence of drugs or alcohol)
If child or adolescent is displaying active symptoms of depression:
- Loss of appetite
- Making suicidal statements
- Showing signs of self-injurious behavior
- Suspected victim or perpetrator of reported bullying
How to Access Services
Parents/legal guardians, schools, DHS, CPS, POs, hospitals and various other professionals can contact Child and Adolescent Mobile Crisis team at 757-823-1666 to discuss the needs of the youth. A crisis assessment, if appropriate, will be offered within one business day.
Child and Adolescent Mobile Crisis
Robinhood Road Office
5505 Robin Hood Rd., Suite C-1
Norfolk, VA 23513
If you have an emergency, call 911 or 757-664-7690.