NBN Conference Mixer (in-person) - Sunday, July 25, 4:00 to 7:00 p.m.
The 2021 conference starts with an in-person social sure to engage and enlighten. Join us for the information, stay for the fun.
- Where: The Pagoda and Oriental Garden (265 Tazewell Street) provides a panoramic view of the beautiful Oriental Garden and sunsets over the Elizabeth River. An amazing location to enjoy live music and food in the company of residents from across the City.
- Live music from Sheila Holman with Phonkee Les & Friends
- Delicious food from Dreal’s Creole Southern Soul (lumpia, pancit, meatballs, vegetable and cheese trays, desserts)
- Swag bag
- Interactive activities
- Giveaways and raffles
- Conference challenge - Tell a New Story
- Cost: $10. Registration for the mixer is limited and closes at 5:00 p.m. on July 21st.
- The Theme - Mermaid Tales 2021 Tell a New Story: After a long 2020 and Covid-restrictions now relaxed, this year's NBN Conference and opening mixer is a way to challenge neighborhoods not to reset the clock back to 2019, but to step forward into a better future. We want to Tell a New Story of more engaged, inclusive, outward facing neighborhoods. The theme embraces and complements the Neighborhood Influencer theme introduced by Aleea Slappy at an NBN Academy course in April. We listened to the community and heard your suggestions to offer more networking opportunities.
- Special Guest: Marla Newman. Ms. Newman is one of Neighborhood Engagement's favorite NeighborWorks instructors! She is Director of Community Development for the City of Winston-Salem, NC as well as board chair for the National Low Income Housing Coalition. She began her career as an attorney and is licensed to practice law in Alabama, Louisiana and Texas. Prior to her position in Winston-Salem, she was executive director of the Louisiana Housing Alliance. She also serves on the board of directors for the National Alliance of Community Economic Development Associations. Ms. Newman will be sharing neighborhood turnaround stories and issuing a creative challenge during the conference.