- Departments N to V
- Norfolk Animal Care Center
- Volunteer Program
- Tales for Tails Reading Program
Tales for Tails Reading Program
This program helps foster love and compassion towards animals, helps young readers flourish, and encourages community involvement in the shelter. This program will give readers the opportunity to connect with adoptable animals and practice their reading in a judgement free and positive space. People who have positive associations with shelter pets are more likely to return to the shelter to adopt, foster, volunteer, or donate. Awareness of animal behavior and safety around animals makes pets and humans alike safer.
How the program works: Students from Elementary all the way through advanced reading of any age are invited to the Norfolk Animal Care & Adoption Center to read to the animals. Participants can share their love of books and improve their reading skills while helping enrich the lives of the animals they are sharing with. Most animals find the human voice to be comforting and soothing, while they provide no judgement to the reader presenting. Volunteers also have the freedom to select their own appropriate reading material. The shelter has a collection of donated books, but volunteers may bring their own appropriate reading material if they prefer.
Reading = Prizes: Volunteers can complete “Frequent Reader Cards” by getting 1 hole punch for every book read to a shelter animal. After reading 5 books/getting 5 punches the completed card is turned into the Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator, who has a small prize bin for the readers to choose one item from.
How to participate & requirements:
· Participants must be a minimum of 5 years of age.
· There must be at least 1 parent/ adult guardian alongside a minor, and maximum of 2 minors per 1 parent/ adult guardian.
· Maximum of 3 parties at one time.
· Must be able to follow instructions and direction given by shelter staff
· Attend an informational session held by the Volunteer and Outreach Coordinator during the first reading shift
· Sign in and out with the Customer Service Representatives through WaitWhile.com
Allergen information: Our animals receive treats containing peanut butter, along with fresh and frozen peanut butter from jars. All participants and their parent/ adult guardian need to understand potential allergen risks.
Tales for Tails Hours:
Tuesdays and Wednesdays
The last reading session will be taken at 6:00pm.
No appointment necessary, walk-in basis only.