Commissioner of the Revenue
The Commissioner of the Revenue's office will be open for all services Monday thru Friday from 8:30am to 3:45pm.
Staff can be reached at the following e-mail addresses or phone numbers:
Personal Property Tax Questions: CORPP@Norfolk.gov or (757)-664-7884
Please see below for the DMV Select services provided in our office.
Walk-in service will be provided on a first come first serve basis, customers should anticipate wait times.
DMV Select Services
DMV Select transactions are limited to: Vehicle title, registrations and license plates. Permits and Placards. Address changes. Transcript requests and voter registration applications. The Commissioner of the Revenue cannot remove DMV stops. For all other transactions visit The VA Department of Motor Vehicles.
Personal Property transactions are limited to: Move, Sale or Disposal of vehicle or other items. Military/Disabled Vet Exemptions. High Mileage adjustments. Business license and business personal property tax assistance. Walk-ins for just Personal Property tax assistance will be serviced Monday-Friday. The Commissioner of the Revenue does not accept property tax payments.
The 2022 Virginia General Assembly passed a law earlier this year giving taxpayers with a liability a rebate of up to $250 for individual filers and up to $500 for joint filers.
City Council approves ordinance to provide car tax relief by waiving 2022 license fees on certain vehicles and motorcycles.
SAVE TIME..RENEW YOUR BUSINESS LICENSE ONLINE
The Commissioner of the Revenue and City Treasurer’s Eservices portal has undergone an upgrade.
Taxpayers will no longer need a PIN number to login and use the File and Pay Business Taxes option. Just enter a few pieces of information from your account and you will be able to securely file and pay for business license fees, monthly and quarterly fiduciary taxes and personal property taxes. This upgrade will allow businesses to file and upload tangible business personal property and machinery and tools tax asset listings, which previously had to be mailed into the office.
To pay existing or delinquent invoices taxpayers should use the Search and Pay Property Taxes option. Click the link below to be directed to the portal.
In order to provide you with the best online experience possible, we recommend using Google Chrome when you access the portal.
Need help using the portal? Click below for additional guidance.
Click here for some key points about Business License renewal.
Business Licenses will be mailed within two weeks of receipt of payment unless the City Treasurer withholds it for other delinquent taxes or fees.
2022 Monthly Fiduciary Coupons Are Available
To request personalized copies of your 2022 Monthly Fiduciary coupons used for filing Food & Beverage, Admission, Room and Transient Occupancy Tax. Please provide us with your account number, business name, location address and click here to make the request. Let us know if you would like paper copies mailed to you or a PDF version emailed. Blank copies for each type can also be found on our website here: https://www.norfolk.gov/794/Fiduciary-Taxes.
Providing Superior Service and Quality to the Citizens of Norfolk
We are the Chief Assessor for the City of Norfolk. We provide the following services to aid in the continued economic growth of our city:
- Assessment of individual and business personal property
- Issuance and renewal of business licenses
- Administration of all fiduciary taxes
- DMV Select services- Hours of operation will be 8:30 a.m. to 3:45 p.m.
- Evaluation of customer tax compliance
- Assistance and processing of Virginia State Income Taxes
- Investigation of inquiries and delinquent accounts
- Report the Move, Sale, or Disposal of a Vehicle Online.
- If you have moved out of state you may be required to provide us with a copy of the new registration or title.
- Are you an Active Duty Military Member and a Non-Virginia Resident? Please view the requirements for exemption.
- Simplifying Business - How to Start a Business in the City of Norfolk (PDF).
- Effective January 1, 2016, an opportunity for a BPOL tax exemption (PDF) may exist for new businesses that locate in Norfolk.