Office of Elections
The Office of Elections is responsible for protecting the integrity of the electoral process in the City of Norfolk through maintaining accurate voter records and efficient administration of elections in accordance with state and federal election laws. We are committed to being an information resource for the citizens of Norfolk regarding elected officials, voter registration, and election services.
- The deadline to register for the March 3, 2020 Democratic Party Presidential Primary is February 10th.
- The deadline to request an absentee ballot by mail for the March 3rd Democratic Party Presidential Primary Election is 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, February 25th. Due to mail delivery, we recommend you request you submit your absentee ballot application as soon as possible and not wait until the deadline.
- Check here for the Sample Ballot for the March 3, 2020 Democratic Party Presidential Primary
- In addition to our regular office hours, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., the Norfolk Office of Elections will be open on Saturday, February 29th, from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. for in person absentee voting.
- The deadline to vote an absentee ballot in person for the March 3rd Democratic Party Presidential Primary is 5:00 p.m., Saturday, February 29th.
- Check here for the list of upcoming elections
- Did you receive a postcard requesting to call the Registrar to verify your registration is still active? Check your voter registration online
Polls are open from 6:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. on Election Day
On February 14, 2019, the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia (Richmond Division) issued a Court Order requiring redistricting of the House of Delegates Districts to include the Hampton Roads area. This impacted 21 precincts within Norfolk. Voters who may have been impacted by these redistricting changes were mailed a Voter Information Notice. View the new House District map (PDF). Precincts impacted include:
- Azalea Gardens
- Barron Black
- Broad Creek
- Chrysler Museum
- East Ocean View
- Larchmont School
- Little Creek
- Second Presbyterian
- Taylor Elementary School
- Third Presbyterian
Attention Voters in Poplar Halls Precinct
Your polling location has changed. Please review here.
Check for Restoration of Voting Rights. If you have questions about rights restoration contact the Secretary of the Commonwealth's Office at 804-692-0104
Voting Guidelines & Resources
- Election Information
- Receive a notice indicating you are not registered to vote (PDF)
- Access to Online Third-Party Voter Registration Training (Revised July 1, 2018)
- Guidelines for Conducting Voter Registration Drives (PDF)
- Guidelines for Authorized Observers (PDF)
- Information for Norfolk State University Students
- Information for Old Dominion University Students (PDF)
Security measures in place for City Hall: Effective December 1, 2017, City Hall visitors must present picture identification and sign in at the security desk in the lobby.