Office of Elections
The Office of Elections is responsible for protecting the integrity of the electoral process in the City of Norfolk through maintaining accurate voter records and efficient administration of elections in accordance with state and federal election laws. We are committed to being an information resource for the citizens of Norfolk regarding elected officials, voter registration, and election services.
- The deadline to register to vote for the November 5, 2019 General Election is October 15, 2019.
- The deadline to request an absentee ballot by mail for the November 5, 2019 General Election is 5:00 p.m., Tuesday, October 29th.
- Please allow extra time for mail delivery of absentee ballots!
- In addition to our regular office hours, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., we will be open on Saturday, October 26th and November 2nd from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. for in person absentee voting.
- The deadline to cast an absentee ballot in person is 5:00 p.m. on Saturday, November 2nd.
- Did you receive a postcard requesting to call the Registrar to verify your registration is still active? Check your voter registration online
Sample Ballots for the November 5, 2019 General Election
- Senate District 5, House District 79
- Senate District 5, House District 89
- Senate District 5, House District 90
- Senate District 6, House District 79
- Senate District 6, House District 83
- Senate District 6, House District 89
- Senate District 6, House District 90
- Senate District 6, House District 100
- Senate District 7, House District 90
Polls are open from 6:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. on Election Day
On February 14, 2019, the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia (Richmond Division) issued a Court Order requiring redistricting of the House of Delegates Districts to include the Hampton Roads area. This impacted 21 precincts within Norfolk. Voters who may have been impacted by these redistricting changes were mailed a Voter Information Notice. View the new House District map (PDF). Precincts impacted include:
- Azalea Gardens
- Barron Black
- Broad Creek
- Chrysler Museum
- East Ocean View
- Larchmont School
- Little Creek
- Second Presbyterian
- Taylor Elementary School
- Third Presbyterian
Attention Voters in Poplar Halls Precinct
Your polling location has changed. Please review here.
Check for Restoration of Voting Rights. If you have questions about rights restoration contact the Secretary of the Commonwealth's Office at 804-692-0104
Voting Guidelines & Resources
- Election Information
- Receive a notice indicating you are not registered to vote (PDF)
- Access to Online Third-Party Voter Registration Training (Revised July 1, 2018)
- Guidelines for Conducting Voter Registration Drives (PDF)
- Guidelines for Authorized Observers (PDF)
- 2019 Voter Registration Events (PDF)
- Information for Norfolk State University Students
- Information for Old Dominion University Students (PDF)
Security measures in place for City Hall: Effective December 1, 2017, City Hall visitors must present picture identification and sign in at the security desk in the lobby.