Swimming Pools & Splash Pads
The following indoor pools will reopen on March 1:
Huntersville Community Center
830 Goff Street
Wednesday & Friday,
9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
*CLOSED 1 p.m. - 2 p.m. daily for cleaning
Southside Aquatics Center (SSAC)
1750 Campostella Road
Tuesday, 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Saturday, 12 p.m. – 5 p.m.
*CLOSED 1 p.m. - 2 p.m. daily for cleaning
8401 Tidewater Drive
Monday & Thursday 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. *CLOSED 1 p.m. - 2 p.m. daily for cleaning
- Only registered participants with a Facility Use I.D. card are allowed in the facility.
- Each facility has a maximum occupancy of 30 members at a time: one participant per lane (six lanes total); five to seven participants for non-lane swimming; 15 max participants in the multi-purpose room.
- All participants are required to reserve space for pool use. Reservations can be made by CALLING the following facilities at LEAST 24 HOURS IN ADVANCE:
- Southside Aquatic Center 9am-5pm, 757-333-3281
- Huntersville Pool 9am-5pm, 757-664-7431
- Northside Pool 9am-5pm, 757-441-1760
- Pool reservations can be made onsite at Huntersville and SSAC pools. When you check-in for your reservation, future reservations can be made for one lane, no more than seven days in advance.
- Lane reservations cannot exceed 30 minutes and non-lane reservations cannot exceed 40 minutes. During weekdays, 10 a.m. is the first available reservation time slot in the morning and 5:30 p.m. is the last available evening reservation. On Saturdays at SSAC, 12:30 p.m. is the first available reservation time slot and 4:30 p.m. is the last available time slot. PLEASE PLAN TO ARRIVE 15 MINUTES PRIOR TO YOUR RESERVATION for screening and check-in.
- Locker rooms will remain closed, based on recommendations by the CDC and the Virginia Department of Health.
- Onsite showers are required before entering the pool. Patrons can use designated deck showers. These showers are cleaned after each use by staff. Patrons are asked to wait between use for staff directions.
- Recreational walk-in pool usage, all facility rental and events, instructional classes and swim team practices (including Norfolk Public Schools and Norfolk Silver Dolphins) are temporarily discontinued until further notice due to COVID-19 safety precautions.
- All pools will adhere to RPOS 3-59 Policy: COVID-19 Operating Guidelines & Policy approved on July 7, 2020.
The Norfolk Department of Recreation, Parks, and Open Space's Aquatics Division operates four indoor pools year-round. Three outdoor pools are operated on a seasonal basis. All facilities offer a wide range of aquatic programming including (see note above concerning operational changes due to COVID-19):
- Lap swimming
- Lifeguard training
- Open recreational swimming
- Private swim lessons
- Swimming lessons
- Water fitness
- Youth birthday party rentals
- Youth group rentals
Facility Use I.D. Cards
A Facility Use I.D. Card and/or daily admission fee are required to access both indoor and outdoor swimming pools. Please note money is not accepted at outdoor swimming pools, please visit an indoor swimming pools to purchase your Facility Use I.D. Card prior to your visit. Access to the Norfolk Fitness and Wellness Center requires a Facility Use I.D. Card.
There are splash pads for outdoor water play at several locations throughout Norfolk. Splash pads are currently closed until further notice.
- Fountain Park at Town Point Park (free)
- Norview Community Center Splash Pad (free)
- Shoop Park Splash Pad (free)
- Virginia Zoo (admission fee required)
- W.O.W. at Norfolk Botanical Garden (admission fee required)
Summer Splash is a swimming and water safety program that provides Norfolk youth, ages 5 to 18, the opportunity to learn water safety and basic swimming skills while participating in fun water activities. Summer Splash program runs seasonally from June through August. It is free to anyone with a Norfolk Athletic ID card.
Interested in Becoming a Lifeguard?
The aquatics team is always recruiting qualified lifeguard candidates. To apply for current openings, visit the City's Human Resources site.
For further information about city pools and swimming programs, contact the Norfolk Department of Recreation, Parks and Open Space's Aquatics Division at 757-441-1605.