Swimming Pools & Splash Pads
Effective November 2, RPOS will reopen indoor pools at the following locations:
- Only registered participants are allowed in the facility.
- Each facility has a maximum occupancy of 30 members at a time: one participant per lane (six lanes total); five to seven participants for non-lane swimming; 15 max participants in the multi-purpose room.
- All participants are required to reserve space for pool use. Reservations can be made through the RPOS online portal. Lane reservations cannot exceed 30 minutes and non-lane reservations cannot exceed 40 minutes.
- Masks are required while not in the pool.
- Locker rooms will remain closed, based on recommendations by the CDC and the Virginia Department of Health.
- Recreational walk-in pool usage, all facility rental and events, instructional classes and swim team practices (including Norfolk Public Schools and Norfolk Silver Dolphins) are temporarily discontinued until further notice due to COVID-19 safety precautions.
- All pools will adhere to RPOS 3-59 Policy: COVID-19 Operating Guidelines & Policy approved on July 7, 2020.
The Norfolk Department of Recreation, Parks, and Open Space's Aquatics Division operates four indoor pools year-round. Three outdoor pools are operated on a seasonal basis. All facilities offer a wide range of aquatic programming including (see note above concerning operational changes due to COVID-19):
- Lap swimming
- Lifeguard training
- Open recreational swimming
- Private swim lessons
- Swimming lessons
- Water fitness
- Youth birthday party rentals
- Youth group rentals
At this time the Berkley Outdoor Pool is closed. Accommodations to take residents from the Berkley Community Center to both the Southside Aquatics Center and Chesterfield Outdoor Pool are available. View details about pool transportation accommodations.
Seasonal listings of fee-based classes are included in the Good Times publication.
Facility Use I.D. Cards
A Facility Use I.D. Card and/or daily admission fee are required to access both indoor and outdoor swimming pools. Please note money is not accepted at outdoor swimming pools, please visit an indoor swimming pools to purchase your Facility Use I.D. Care prior to your visit. Access to either of the Norfolk Fitness and Wellness Center pools requires center membership.
There are splash pads for outdoor water play at several locations throughout Norfolk. Splash pads are currently closed until further notice.
- Fountain Park at Town Point Park (free)
- Norview Community Center Splash Pad (free)
- Shoop Park Splash Pad (free)
- Virginia Zoo (admission fee required)
- W.O.W. at Norfolk Botanical Garden (admission fee required)
Summer Splash is a swimming and water safety program that provides Norfolk youth, ages 5 to 18, the opportunity to learn water safety and basic swimming skills while participating in fun water activities. Summer Splash program runs seasonally from June through August. It is free to anyone with a Norfolk Athletic ID card.
Interested in Becoming a Lifeguard?
The aquatics team is always recruiting qualified lifeguard candidates. To apply for current openings, visit the City's Human Resources site.
For further information about city pools and swimming programs, contact the Norfolk Department of Recreation, Parks and Open Space's Aquatics Division at 757-441-1605.