Department of City Planning staff is available to assist citizens with questions related to planning, zoning, building permits, and other related issues.
Contact the Planning Department in the following ways:
- For Zoning questions email email@example.com or call 757-664-6588
- For Business License/Zoning Approval questions email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 757-664-6588
- For Short-Term Rental email email@example.com or call 757-664-6588
- For Building Permit questions and other trades permit questions email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 757-664-6565
- All permits will be available for application April 12th, 2022.
For all other inquiries email email@example.com or call 757-664-4752
Save time apply online!
Find the application online in the menu below or email for assistance.
City Planning is responsible for developing and implementing short and long-range plans, goals, and policies, as developed with the community and approved by the City Council, that reflect the needs and interests of residents and the city. The department fulfills four primary functions:
- provision of long-range planning services;
- implementation of the city’s land use regulations;
- implementation of federal, state, and local environmental programs, including the Chesapeake Bay Preservation Act, storm water management, and erosion control programs and;
- oversight of building safety during the construction process.
City Planning provides input and staffs the City Planning Commission, the Wetlands Board, the Architectural Review Board, and the Zoning Appeals Board.