June 3, 2023
Assembly Building - rooftop
400 Granby Street
Norfolk, VA 23510
NBN Summer Mixer
Saturday, June 3, 2023
Mix it up with Norfolk's community influencers, change agents and neighborhood leaders from the rooftop of the Assembly Building.
Ignite 2023! Spark Community Change events continue with the NBN Summer Mixer on June 3 from noon to 3:00 p.m. In addition to light hors d’oeuvres, the mixer will feature a popcorn popup, ice-cream popup, lemonade stand, challenge wall, and a conversation café to encourage and demonstrate simple, low-cost ways to engage neighbors. All this for only $10 which includes parking validation at the Bank Street Garage. Online registration ends at 5:00 p.m. on June 2 (previously May 26th).
The Assembly Building (400 Granby Street) is a testimony to creative change and collaboration. When the building reached the end of its lifespan as a department store, it was purchased by the City and used as a municipal building. As times changed again, maintenance expenses grew, and its highest and best use was no longer as a city building, it was sold to Grow Interactive. Together with Work Program Architects (our official hosts for the mixer), they completely refurbished the building as a collaborative, creative, office space complete with podcast room, art display, rooftop entertainment area, bike room, and a coffee shop. They also retained the fur vault from the original department store and converted the room into a conference room, which we will put to good use as our conversation café. Mini-tours will be available to experience this unique and interactive space.
- The cost is $10 per person.
- Drop in any time between noon and 3:00 p.m. There is no formal program.
- Parking can be validated but only in the Bank Street Garage (441 Bank Street). Entrances are on Freemason Street and Bank Street.
- The event entrance to Assembly is at 400 Granby Street.
- We are able to reserve six parking spaces along the 100 block of Freemason Street next to the Assembly Building for those with handicapped license plates or placards. This is on a first come, first serve basis. To reserve these spaces, you must indicate the need in your registration and have a handicapped license plate or mirror placard for us to issue a permit.
- If you have business cards for your civic league or organization, please bring them to share. We also encourage digital promotion that you can share from your phone.
- Be prepared to mix, mingle and ignite your community spark!