NORFOLK, VA – The City of Norfolk’s government offices, including City Hall, will close on Monday, May 31, in observance of Memorial Day. The closures include the offices of the Commissioner of the Revenue and the City Treasurer. Offices will reopen at regular business hours on Tuesday, June 1.
Also closed on Memorial Day: the City of Norfolk Courthouse, Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court, all Norfolk Public Libraries and all recreation centers, including pools.
Requests for bulk waste collection for Tuesday, June 1, must be made before 3 p.m. on Friday, May 28. To schedule bulk waste collection, submit a service request via the MyNorfolk app or online portal or call the Norfolk Cares Center at (757) 664-6510. The SPSA Norfolk Transfer Station will be open on Monday, May 31, from 8:00 a.m. – noon to receive waste. Norfolk residents can drop-off unwanted E-waste on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, from 8 a.m. – noon at the Division of Towing and Recovery located at 1188-A Lance Road.
Lifeguards begin duty on Saturday, May 29, through Labor Day weekend. Hours are 11 a.m. – 6 p.m. daily. Norfolk lifeguards are stationed at the following city park beaches:
Community Beach Park
700 E. Ocean View Avenue
Sarah Constant Beach Park
300 W. Ocean View Avenue
Ocean View Beach Park
100 W. Ocean View Avenue
Parking is free at all three locations.
Norfolk lifeguards want you to be safe this summer and provide these reminders:
- Swim near a lifeguard and never swim alone or at night.
- Stay off rock jetties and away from drainage pipes.
- No dogs or pets allowed on Norfolk Beaches 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. daily.
- Open alcohol containers and glass objects are illegal.
- Never swim during electrical storms.
- Always watch your children in and around water. Designate an adult water watcher as it ONLY takes 30-60 seconds to drown.
- Know current water and weather conditions.
- Please dispose of you trash in beach receptacles.
- Be courteous of those around you on the beaches, NO loud music.
- Listen for whistles and follow the directions of Norfolk Lifeguards and Police.
- CALL 911 FOR EMERGENCIES.
Below are indoor pool operations, effective Saturday, May 29, through Labor Day Weekend. Pools are closed on Monday, May 31.
Mondays (10 a.m. – 6 p.m.)
Southside Aquatics Center Pool
Tuesdays (10 a.m. – 6 p.m.)
Wednesdays (10 a.m. – 6 p.m.)
Thursdays (10 a.m. – 6 p.m.)
All indoor pools will be closed Mondays – Thursdays from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. for cleaning. Indoor pools will also close for operation Fridays – Sundays throughout summer 2021. Visit norfolk.gov/play for more information.