NORFOLK, VA – Believe in Learning Norfolk is a citywide lifelong learning initiative launched in Feb. 2021. Made of more than 100 community, business and public service partners, Believe in Learning is excited to introduce the inaugural Lifelong Learning Week, May 7 – 14.
The initiative was guided by the 2018 Commission on Lifelong Learning, appointed by Mayor Kenneth Cooper Alexander, Ph.D. Believe in Learning Norfolk celebrates all aspects of learning for personal development, community building, innovation, resilience, economic opportunity and more.
“Believe in Learning is a citywide initiative, and we are excited to partner with various businesses, non-profits and community organizations to encourage learning for all ages,” said Norfolk Mayor Kenneth Alexander. “It is important that everyone join in our efforts to enhance the quality of life for our residents by creating lifelong learning opportunities.”
Lifelong Learning Week will kickoff on May 7 at 11:00 a.m. at Jordan-Newby Anchor Branch at Broad Creek Library, 1425 Norchester Avenue, with a proclamation from Norfolk Mayor Kenneth Alexander, remarks from city leadership and interactive programming for youth and families. Below are a few of the Lifelong Learning Week programs. View the entire list and register at LLWeek2022.eventbrite.com.
- Passport Kickoff Event at Jordan-Newby Anchor Branch at Broad Creek Library (May 7, 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.)
- Building a Safe Respectful and Inclusive Community Panel Discussion presented by PrimePlus (May 7, 10:00 a.m. – 11:20 a.m.)
- Post Your Positivity, Post-It Note Activity stations at Norfolk Public Library, PrimePlus and Norfolk Parks & Recreation facilities (May 7 -14)
- Using Social Media for your Job Search presented by Hampton Roads Workforce Council (May 10, 1:30 p.m.)
- Virtual Paint Event presented by Governor’s School for the Arts (May 12, 4:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.)
- Fortnite Esports Tournament presented by Norfolk Parks & Recreation (May 13, 6:30 p.m.)
- Youth Open Mic Night presented by The Muse Writers Center (May 13, 6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.)
Programs are available online, in-person and/or hybrid for all ages. Registration is free.
Believe in Learning Norfolk has year-round programming. To learn more about the initiative and become a partner, visit Norfolk.gov/lifelonglearning.