Government - Internal City StructureBusiness - Tools For GrowthServices - Provided by the CityCommunity - Resident EngagementEnjoy Norfolk - Leisure & VisitorsHow Do I - Information Center
Elizabeth River with a Tugboat, Sailboat and the USS Wisconsin

Go To Search
Hazard Mitigation Assistance (HMA) Grant Program
If you own a building that has repetitively sustained flooding damage, FEMA’s Hazard Mitigation Assistance (HMA) by may offer opportunities to break the damage cycle. Funding may be available to assist properties in acquisition/demolition or flood proofing projects.

Please note: Individuals cannot apply directly to FEMA for funding. The city may submit application materials to the Virginia Department of Emergency Management (VDEM) on behalf of a property owner. VDEM will determine if a project is cost effective and apply to FEMA for grant funding consideration.

To apply for funding under the HMA programs the following is required:
  • Property Photos – (4) Front, Back, and both sides
  • Photos of flooding and flood damage (interior/exterior)
  • Photos of outbuildings and additional structures
  • Current Flood Elevation Certificate (preferably less than 2 years old)
  • Proof of Property Insurance
  • Proof of Flood Insurance
  • Flood Claim History (obtained by calling the NFIP at 1.866.395.7496)
  • Statement of loss for any claim not reflected on the Flood Claim History

Helpful Links