Granby Street Bike Lanes - Willow Wood Drive to Admiral Taussig Boulevard
In January 2022, City Council voted in favor to accept the SMART Scale funding for this project. This concludes the Project Development effort. The project will proceed into Design during Fall 2022.
Granby Street between Willow Wood Drive and
Admiral Taussig Boulevard (just south of the
Over the past year, the City of Norfolk Department of Transit worked with the community to develop a potential project to implement bike lanes on Granby Street between Willow Wood Drive and Admiral Taussig Boulevard (just south of the I-564 overpass) by repurposing a vehicle lane in each direction into bike lanes. City staff and the community also worked to identify other multimodal and pedestrian safety improvements at various locations along Granby Street as a supplement to the bike lanes.
To learn more about this project development effort, please check out:
- Granby Street Bike Lanes Story Map
- Project Comment Map
- Project Fact Sheet (PDF) (added September 13, 2021)
- Project Q&A Sheet (PDF) (updated January 10, 2022)
- Traffic Study Technical Memorandum (PDF)
- Crash Analysis Technical Memorandum (PDF)
The next steps for this project are as follows:
- Fall 2022/Winter 2023 - Design Begins: The project team will begin the design effort for the bike lanes. Moving forward with the additional multimodal/pedestrian safety improvements will depend on the approval of the submitted CIP funding requests.
As the project moves through Design, the project team will continue engaging with the community and other local stakeholders. The schedule for public engagement is to be determined.
The first round of public outreach for the project development effort consisted of a virtual workshop held on March 11, 2021 and an online survey that was open between March 11 and April 13, 2021.
- Watch the March 11, 2021 Virtual Workshop recording
- Read the Round 1 Public Involvement Summary (PDF)
The second virtual workshop was held on June 29, 2021 to gather public input on the traffic study results and design concepts developed based on the first round of public input. The second public comment period was open until October 22, 2021.
- Watch the June 29, 2021 Virtual Workshop recording
- Read the Crash Analysis Technical Memorandum (PDF)
- Read the Traffic Study Technical Memorandum (PDF)
- Read the Project Q&A Sheet (PDF) compiled from Round 1 and Round 2 questions and comments
The final round of public outreach consisted of an in-person open house to allow residents and community members to discuss the proposed Granby Street Bike Lanes with City of Norfolk representatives. This event was held at the Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church on Newport Avenue on September 22, 2021. The project team also attended civic league and task force meetings in Fall 2021 to provide updates on the project and answer questions from residents.
Project updates are sent by email to all workshop registrants and upon request by individuals. Contact us to request email updates. Updates are also posted on this webpage and official City of Norfolk social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, NextDoor).