Granby Street Bridge Rehabilitation
This project will repair vital structural components and extend the useable life of the Granby Street Bridge over the Lafayette River. Construction completion is anticipated in late 2022. For more details, see the Project Information Sheet (PDF):
Starting the week of October 12 until spring 2021, the right northbound lane on the bridge will be closed to facilitate bridge repairs. The following conditions can be expected until spring 2021:
- Concrete barriers will separate northbound bridge traffic from the work zone in the right lane.
- Two lanes of traffic will remain open in each direction on Granby Street.
- The speed limit will be temporarily reduced to 25 MPH on northbound Granby Street, between 40th Street and Willow Wood Drive.
- The sidewalk on the east side of the bridge will be closed temporarily. The sidewalk on the west side of the bridge will remain open.
- The bike lane on the southbound side of the bridge will remain open.
- The fishing pier will be closed temporarily.
- Business and residential entrances will remain open.
Starting on Tuesday, October 13 between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., northbound Granby Street will be reduced temporarily to a single lane of traffic for up to three days. During these timeframes, the right northbound lane will be closed north of 41st Street, and the two right northbound lanes on the bridge will be closed. These lane closures will allow the contractor to set the concrete barriers for the extended closure of the right lane on the bridge.
In order to facilitate bridge repairs, the northbound and southbound side of the bridge will each be closed for up to six months. The northbound closure is anticipated in spring of 2021, and the southbound closure is anticipated in early 2022. The following conditions can be expected during these closures:
- The speed limit on Granby Street will be temporarily reduced to 25 mph between 40th Street and W Arden Circle.
- At least one travel lane will remain open in both directions, at all times.
- One of the two existing sidewalks will be open at all times.
- The bike lane over Granby Street Bridge will be temporarily closed.
- While the northbound side of the bridge is closed, a single northbound lane and two southbound lanes will be open. Northbound traffic will be shifted onto the open side of the bridge.
- While the southbound side of the bridge is closed, a single southbound lane and two northbound lanes will be open. Southbound traffic will be shifted onto the open side of the bridge.
Lafayette River Access
During construction, the fishing pier on the east side of the bridge will be closed. Waterway access underneath the bridge will not be restricted. There will be contractor equipment underneath the bridge, which may cause a delay when barges or other craft are traversing the passageway.
- Message boards will be displayed announcing traffic pattern changes ahead of time.
- Traffic pattern changes and major activities will be announced on this webpage, Nextdoor.com, by email to nearby civic league boards and the project update email list.
- To receive email updates about this project, send a request to email@example.com.
- Public outreach occurred in early 2019 and included mailers to surrounding neighborhoods, press releases, social media posts, and notifications to nearby civic leagues and the Riverview Business Association. Three community meetings were held in March 2019, and follow-up communications will be sent to attendees of those meetings.