Granby Street Bridge Rehabilitation
This project will repair vital structural components and extend the useable life of the Granby Street Bridge over the Lafayette River. Construction completion is anticipated in late 2022. For more details, see the Project Information Sheet (PDF):
The northbound (east) side of the Granby Street Bridge is currently closed through fall 2021. The following conditions can be expected during this closure:
- Northbound traffic on Granby Street is reduced to one lane north of 41st Street until the end of the bridge just south of Willow Wood Drive. Northbound traffic is shifted to the west side of the bridge.
- The bridge has 1 open lane northbound and 2 open lanes southbound, with the exception of five nights in August and September 2021 during bridge deck overlay work when only 1 lane will be open in each direction.
- The speed limit is temporarily reduced to 25 MPH on:
- Northbound Granby Street, between 40th Street and Windham Road,
- Southbound Granby Street, between South Arden Circle and 41st Street, and
- Southbound Llewellyn Avenue, between the Granby Street Bridge and 38th Street.
- The sidewalk on the east side of the bridge is closed. The sidewalk on the west side of the bridge is open.
- The fishing pier is temporarily closed.
- Business, residential and side street entrances remain open.
- For more details, see the Northbound Bridge Closure Traffic Control Plan (PDF).
The southbound bridge closure is anticipated in early 2022. The following conditions can be expected for up to six months during the southbound bridge closure:
- The speed limit on Granby Street in the vicinity of the bridge will remain temporarily reduced to 25 mph.
- There will be 2 open lanes northbound and 1 open lane southbound.
- The bike lane will remain closed temporarily.
- The fishing pier will remain closed temporarily.
- Business, residential and side street entrances will remain open.
Lafayette River Access
During construction, the fishing pier on the east side of the bridge will be closed. Water craft will continue to have access underneath the bridge. During certain activities, the contractor will have a safety boat on the water to help guide people away from high activity areas at the ends of the bridge. Please notify the City of Norfolk Construction Manager (email@example.com) ahead of any planned events on the river.
- Message boards will be displayed announcing traffic pattern changes ahead of time.
- Traffic pattern changes and major activities will be announced on this webpage, Nextdoor.com, by email to nearby civic league boards and the project update email list.
- To receive email updates about this project, send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Public outreach occurred in early 2019 and included mailers to surrounding neighborhoods, press releases, social media posts, and notifications to nearby civic leagues and the Riverview Business Association. Three community meetings were held in March 2019, and follow-up communications will be sent to attendees of those meetings.