Government - Internal City StructureBusiness - Tools For GrowthServices - Provided by the CityCommunity - Resident EngagementEnjoy Norfolk - Leisure & VisitorsHow Do I - Information Center
Elizabeth River with a Tugboat, Sailboat and the USS Wisconsin

Go To Search
Admissions / Intake

Accessing Mental Health and Substance Use Services

Who do we serve at the NCSB Adult Intake Unit?

We serve residents of the City of Norfolk, ages 18 and older, who are diagnosed with a serious mental illness (SMI) and/or substance use disorders. Intakes for Intellectual or Developmental Disabilities and for Child Mental Health are accessed by calling 757-823-1600.

The following diagnoses are categorized as a serious mental illness (SMI):

  • Schizophrenia 
  • Schizophreniform disorder 
  • Schizoaffective disorder 
  • Brief psychotic disorder 
  • Delusional disorder 
  • Bipolar disorder 
  • Major depressive disorder 
  • Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) 
  • Agoraphobia 
  • Panic disorder 
  • Obsessive-compulsive disorder 
  • Anorexia nervosa 
  • Bulimia nervosa

Persons with a chronic or acute substance use disorder are eligible to be screened for an array of services. If you are experiencing opioid addiction, please tell us so we can screen you for specialized services.

How do I start the process of accessing services at the NCSB?

You can now walk in without an appointment to complete a clinical intake assessment. This assessment determines whether or not you are eligible for adult mental health and/or substance use services at the Norfolk Community Services Board. If you have any questions, please give us a call at 757-823-1312.

What services are available through this process?

Specific services are based on availability and eligibility. They may include:

  • Substance Use Treatment
  • Psychiatry
  • Care Coordination
  • Case Management
  • Skill-Building Services
  • Peer Support Services

Please understand that we do not provide assessments or drug/alcohol screenings for persons who are not also seeking services with us.

Once you are in a care coordination, outpatient, or case management service, additional service referrals can be made for:

  • Supportive Housing (Limited Eligibility)
  • Employment Support
  • Benefits Acquisition

If you are in need of services that we are unable to provide, our care coordinators will assist you with referrals to other resources in the community and explain how to access information on low cost programs or programs that are available with insurance.

When can I walk in?

Monday through Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon. Please plan for your appointment to last approximately two and a half hours.

Where do I walk in?

Intake assessments are completed only at 3755 East Virginia Beach Boulevard, Norfolk, VA 23502. (HRT Bus #20).

How much does it cost?

We are required to charge for our services, but keep in mind that we are dedicated to providing services to you in a way that is affordable for you and we can provide a payment deferral so you can access care if you cannot pay right now. The most we charge for your intake is $165 (at the highest income level). You will not be turned away for services due to an inability to pay and we will work with you to make your treatment affordable

I have insurance, will it pay for my intake?

Many insurance plans will cover some or all of the cost for your intake. Based on your plan, it may require you to pay a copay. Also, keep in mind that your insurance provider can assist you in securing therapy and psychiatric services from other providers.

What if I don’t have health insurance?

If you don’t have health insurance and you reside in Norfolk, you may be eligible for a reduced fee based on your income and family size based on a sliding fee scale. At times we also may have a grant that could cover your costs.

We will also assist you in applying for Virginia Medicaid if you do not have insurance and have low income. 

What do I need to bring with me?

  1. Picture Identification: DMV-issued ID, Military ID, Employer ID, Student ID, Passport
  2. Verification of your Social Security Number: Social Security Card, IRS Tax Return, W-2 Form, Social Security Award Letter
  3. Proof of Norfolk Residency: Current Residential Lease, Utility Bill, Current Mortgage Statement, Current Vehicle Registration
  4. Proof of Income: W-2 Form, Last Two Pay Stubs, Social Security Award Letter, Verification of Unemployment (W-6 Form). If you have a payee, please provide us with that information.
  5. Insurance Cards (If Applicable)
  6. List of All Current Medications or Medication Bottles (If Applicable)

We understand that you may not have all of these documents today. We will work with you to acquire the documentation needed for full enrollment. Bring anything that you have that may reference the information above to help us help you get started. If you do not have your own housing, please bring a letter from the person you are staying with that states you are staying with them and if you are paying them any rent or providing any support to the household. We will need a piece of mail or something that shows their name and address. If you are homeless, we will offer you to complete a self-declaration form that you are homeless in Norfolk. If you have an advocate or friend that can attest to some of your information, please let us know.



Contact Us
Adult Intake

3755 E. Virginia Beach Blvd
Norfolk, VA 23502

Ph:  757-823-1312

Intake - Adult Services, Norfolk Community Services Board