Government - Internal City StructureBusiness - Tools For GrowthServices - Provided by the CityCommunity - Resident EngagementEnjoy Norfolk - Leisure & VisitorsHow Do I - Information Center
Elizabeth River with a Tugboat, Sailboat and the USS Wisconsin
Click to Home

Go To Search

Printable Application | Process Brochure

When is a change of zoning necessary?

A change of zoning (rezoning) is required when a property owner proposes to use land for purposes other than those permitted by the Zoning Ordinance in a given zoning district.

What is the process?

Applicants must first submit an application for rezoning to the Department of City Planning.  Applications are then considered at two public hearings.  The first of these is before the City Planning Commission (CPC), who makes a recommendation for consideration at a second public hearing before City Council.

What is a conditional change of zoning?
A conditional rezoning allows the applicant to proffer conditions, such as limited hours or uses, that help to ensure that the proposed use will not conflict with the surrounding neighborhood.  The process and fees are the same.

How long does the process take?
The typical rezoning request takes 2½ to 3 months to complete the process from beginning to end.  This may vary, however, as some items may require additional time to process or review.  After CPC consideration, Rezonings are typically heard by City Council approximately two months later. 

How much does it cost?
Fee Schedule | Fee Schedule effective July 1, 2018

For more information, contact the Department of City Planning at 757-664-4752 or Email.