Government - Internal City StructureBusiness - Tools For GrowthServices - Provided by the CityCommunity - Resident EngagementEnjoy Norfolk - Leisure & VisitorsHow Do I - Information Center
Elizabeth River with a Tugboat, Sailboat and the USS Wisconsin
Click to Home

Go To Search
Repairs & Maintenance of Rental Units
You have the legal right to live in a safe home. How to address issues with rental properties depends on if your rental is covered by the Virginia Residential Landlord Tenant Act (VRLTA). Generally speaking, the Act applies to all apartment complexes, regardless of the number of apartments, and single-family houses if the landlord rents more than four houses in Norfolk. 
If your rental unit is not covered by the VRLTA, there may be other state laws that apply to your situation. If you do not know which law applies, you should seek advice from an attorney.

This information is not legal advice. Legal advice is dependent upon the specific circumstances of each situation. Therefore, the information contained in this pamphlet cannot replace the advice of competent legal counsel.
Free Legal information by web and phone:, 1-866-LeglAid (534-5243)  

Additional Resource Numbers
General District Court (757) 441-4910
Consumer Protection (800) 552-9963
Norfolk Cares Impact Call Center
(757) 664-6510 -TDD/TTY #711  

By simply dialing 664-6510, residents can report concerns or obtain information on any city services. Residents can also ask for follow-up information about actions taken on previously reported matters.