Government - Internal City StructureBusiness - Tools For GrowthServices - Provided by the CityCommunity - Resident EngagementEnjoy Norfolk - Leisure & VisitorsHow Do I - Information Center
Elizabeth River with a Tugboat, Sailboat and the USS Wisconsin

Go To Search
Disabled Veteran Relief & Military Exemption

Disabled Veterans may qualify for a reduction on their personal property.  The reduction is available to taxpayers who qualify as a Disabled Veteran under the provisions of the Code of Virginia, and Norfolk City Ordinances.  The reduced tax rate pertains to an eligible veteran who has either lost the use of one or both legs, an arm or a hand, or who is blind or permanently and totally disabled and the disability is certified by the Department of Veterans Affairs as service connected.

Any veteran who qualifies will receive a reduced tax rate of $3.00 per hundred dollars of the assessed value on a single vehicle owned and regularly used by the veteran.  In order to qualify, each veteran will need a copy of a written statement from the Department of Veterans Affairs, designating or classifying that the veteran meets the requirements of the Code of Virginia, and that the disability is service connected.

Military Exemption

I am active duty military, so do I owe this bill?

If the vehicle is in your name only and you are Non-Virginia resident, you qualify for exemption. However, you must provide us with a current L.E.S. (Leave and Earnings Statement) or W-2. If you are taxed for multiple years, you must provide an LES or W-2 for each year. You can email your documents or submit 

I am active duty military and my spouse, who is not in the military, is listed on the vehicle. Do I still owe this bill?

On November 11, 2009, President Obama signed into law the Military Spouses Residency Relief Act (hereinafter, the “Act”) (S.475). Effective January 1, 2010, active duty military and their spouses will be exempt from paying Personal Property Tax if they both claim the same state for residency and this state is not Virginia. If either the active duty military member or their spouse pays taxes to the state of Virginia they do not qualify. 

To qualify for this exemption you must provide the following documentation.

  1. Current LES or W-2. If you are taxed for multiple years, we need an LES or W-2 for each year..
  2. The active duty military member’s dependency documents listing the spouse.
  3. Copy of the spouse's Driver's License, State ID, State Income Tax Filing or Voter Card linking the spouse to the service member's home of record.

You can e-mail or fax the documentation along with the bill you received. 
E-mail:  | Fax: (757) 664-4109 | 810 Union Street, Norfolk, VA. 23510