News Flash Home
The original item was published from 10/19/2015 4:23:12 PM to 10/24/2015 12:00:01 AM.

News Flash


Posted on: October 19, 2015

[ARCHIVED] Two officers recovering after early-morning crash


Norfolk Police have identified the officers involved in this morning’s motor vehicle accident.

Shortly after 4:30 a.m., Officers Joshua Miller and Ademola Titcombe were traveling in the same police vehicle and responded to assist in a high priority call for service regarding gunshots being fired in the area of Debree Avenue and W. 33rd Street. During this response, the officers' vehicle overturned in the 3900 block of Llewellyn Avenue.

Initial reports indicated an officer may have been ejected from the vehicle; however, the preliminary investigation has revealed Officer Titcombe was able to free himself after the accident and exited the car prior to emergency responders arriving on scene.

Officer Titcombe’s partner, Officer Miller, was unable to free himself and was entangled in the wreckage. Norfolk Fire-Rescue personnel worked for over an hour and eventually extricated Officer Miller from the vehicle.

Both officers were transported by ambulance to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital where they are being treated for serious injuries, but listed in stable condition. Family members were notified by police officials and remain with their loved ones during their hospital stay and recovery. It is unknown when the officers will be discharged.

The catalyst that caused the motor vehicle accident is under review. The preliminary investigation into this morning’s incident is still ongoing and the Norfolk Police Department’s Detective Division is spearheading the case. In accordance with departmental protocol, an administrative investigation will be conducted to ensure the officers followed proper policy and procedure.

The Norfolk Police Department would like to thank Norfolk Fire-Rescue for their actions and support. First responders stood in frigid temperatures and water while attempting to extract Officer Miller from the wreckage. Their immediate response and quick actions likely saved the officer’s life.

Officer Miller has been an officer for two years, joining the Norfolk Police Department in September 2013.

Officer Titcombe has been with the Norfolk Police Department for approximately three years, joining the department in July 2012.

At this time, no further information is available for release.

Facebook Twitter Email