Hampton Roads Transit will introduce several changes to its local and express bus routes on May 20
Norfolk – Hampton Roads Transit will introduce several changes to its local and express bus routes on May 20, including new service to the Boo Williams Sportsplex in Hampton, an extension of the Bayfront Shuttle in Virginia Beach, the elimination of one express route and the elimination of some trips on express routes.
The periodic changes follow the agency’s on-going efforts to identify local routes that need revisions to improve their efficiency, reflect the wishes of local cities, and preserve limited funds intended for local transit services.
Among the changes:
- Route 3 will no longer provide service to Naval Station Norfolk. Local Route 21 and Metro Area Express Routes 919, 965, 922 will continue to serve the base.
- Route 35, the Bayfront Shuttle, will be extended to Pleasure House Road and Shore Drive. The extension to Pleasure House will connect with Routes 1, 22, 27 and 29. The route will also be extended south to Atlantic Avenue and 2nd Street (Rudee Inlet) to connect with Routes 30 and 31. The frequency of service on Route 35 will increase to every 30-minutes. Service will be maintained to Arctic Avenue/19th Street and First Landing State Park.
- Route 118 will no longer provide direct service to Langley Air Force Base. Langley will be serviced via N. Armistead Avenue. Route 118 will be extended to Boo Williams Sportsplex via N. Armistead Avenue.
- Route 918 will be eliminated due to low ridership.
- Route 919 will lose three morning trips departing Silverleaf Commuter Station at 5:00 a.m., 5:45 a.m. and 6:50 a.m. and one afternoon trip departing Naval Station Norfolk at 3:58 p.m. due to low ridership. The 5:20 a.m. trip will be changed to 5:10 a.m. Service to building LF18 will no longer be provided.
- Route 922 will no longer service building LF18.
- Route 966 will have a new morning trip departing Silverleaf Commuter Station at 5:20 a.m. and a new afternoon trip departing Newport News Shipyard (North Gate) at 3:50 p.m.
- Route 967 will lose the 5:30 p.m. trip departing Newport News Transit Center due to low ridership. The 5:00 p.m. trip departing Newport News Transit Center will be changed to 5:15 p.m.
For more information on HRT services, visit gohrt.com