Hampton Roads Transit will provide enhanced bus, light rail and ferry services for the 42nd annual Norfolk Harborfest, the nation’s largest, longest-running free maritime festival.
Norfolk – Hampton Roads Transit will provide enhanced bus, light rail and ferry services for the 42nd annual Norfolk Harborfest, the nation’s largest, longest-running free maritime festival.
The party begins this Friday and runs through the weekend at Town Point Park in Downtown Norfolk.
The historic waterfront festival offers attractions to include tall ships, artisan foods and beverages, work boat races, live music, one of the largest fireworks shows on the East Coast, family games and numerous activities.
Traffic flow can be congested in and around downtown this weekend. HRT will provide the following transit services:
- Friday, June 8th: The Tide will operate on its regularly scheduled times until 10 p.m. After that, service will be every 15 minutes until the end of the service day. The last train departing Newtown Road for Norfolk is midnight, and the last train departing downtown Norfolk will be midnight. At 12:15 a.m., all eastbound trains from EVMC will be out of service once they arrive at Newtown Rd. At 12:15 a.m., all westbound trains leaving Newtown will be out of service once they arrive at Ballentine Station.
- Saturday, June 9th - Regularly scheduled rail service will operate until 4:30 p.m. After that, service frequency increases from 15-minute intervals to 10-minute until the end of the service day.
- The Tide’s regular Sunday service begins at 11 a.m.
Keep your tickets. Customers can expect fare inspection on their return trip. Children 17 and under ride FREE with fare-paying adult on all HRT services, except Paratransit.
HRT will provide additional ferry service to meet demand. Ending times will vary based on crowds and demand. On Friday and Sunday, the last boat leaves Waterside at 11:45 p.m. On Saturday, it will leave later, after crowds thin out.
Sunday will be the backup day for the scheduled Saturday fireworks.
To help customers avoid lines at ticket vending machines, HRT’s customer service department will provide ticket sales at the following times and locations. Sales are cash only. A 1-Day GoPass is $4.50. A 1-Day discounted fare is $2.25 for Seniors 65 (ID required).
Sales will be at the following locations:
- Saturday, June 9, 3-9:00 p.m. near the High Street and North Landing docks;
- Saturday, June 9, 5-9 p.m. at Newtown Road and Military Highway light rail stations;
- Sunday, June 10, 6:30-9 p.m. Rain Date/All Locations.
On Saturday, shuttle buses will stage at Newtown Road Station
beginning at 4:00 p.m. These buses will go directly to the MacArthur Square Station. After the fireworks, shuttle buses will be staged at the MacArthur Square Station
for the outbound trip back to the Newtown Road Station.
HRT is also bringing back its popular photo selfie contest. Take a selfie or a group shot of your friends and/or your family on transit and share it on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram with the hashtag #MyHarborfestTrip to enter.
for photo contest details and prize information.
For more information on Harborfest and transit service, please visit gohrt.com