- On January 4, 2005, City Council approved the Treasurer's proposal to eliminate city decals.
- On December 1, 2009 the City Council eliminated boat decals.
- Norfolk residents will continue to pay the annual vehicle/boat license fees as part of their personal property tax bill due each year.
- For 2016, license fee rates have been increased.
- Ordinance number 45,955 adopted by City Council on May 19, 2015 addressed the increase on page 18.
- The revenues from this increase are earmarked for the Complete Street Initiative.
|Automobile or Motor Home: 4,000 pounds or less||$31.00|
|Automobile or Motor Home: 4,001 to 19,000 pounds||$36.00|
|Pick-up Truck, Panel Truck, or Van: 4,000 pounds or less||$31.00|
|Pick-up Truck, Panel Truck, or Van: 4,001 to 19,000 pounds||$36.00|
|Trucks and Tractors: 4,000 pounds or less||$31.00|
|Trucks and Tractors: 4,001 to 19,000 pounds||$36.00|
|Boat Trailers (all weights)||$11.50|
|Camping Trailer: 2,000 pounds or less||$11.50|
|Camping Trailer: 2,001 pounds or more||$17.50|
|Travel Trailer: 4,000 pounds or less||$17.50|
|Travel Trailer: 4,0001 pounds or more||$20.00|
|Utility Trailer: 2,000 pounds or less||$11.50|
|Utility Trailer: 2,001 pounds or more||$25.00|
Please note: If vehicle weighs more than 19,001 pounds, please call 757-664-7884 for fee rate.
License fees for vehicles listed above will be half price after July 1 each year.
|Boat under 16 feet||$10|
|Boat 16 feet and over||$25|
Special Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Plates Rates
There is a reduced rate or exceptions for vehicles that have special DMV plates as listed:
- Disabled Veterans (limit 1): No fee
- Prisoner of War: No fee
- Virginia National Guard: Half price