Social Media Policy
The purpose of City of Norfolk social media sites is to communicate about matters of public interest to city residents, businesses and visitors. We encourage you to submit your questions, comments, and concerns, but please note these are moderated online discussion sites and not a public forum.
We recognize the web is a 24/7 medium, and your comments are welcome at any time. However, given the need to manage our staff resources (your tax dollars), we generally only monitor comments and postings during regular business hours. We welcome all kinds of comments and thoughts; supportive, dissenting, critical or otherwise, as long as they are made in the spirit of constructive and civilized dialogue.
Once posted, the City of Norfolk reserves the right to delete submissions that contain:
- False Information
- Obscene language or sexual content
- Personal attacks of any kind
- Comments or content that promotes, fosters, or perpetuates discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, genetics, status with regard to public assistance, national origin, physical or intellectual disability or sexual orientation
- Contain spam, advertising or include links to other sites and email addresses
- Threaten or defame any person or organization
- Clearly off topic and/or disruptive
- Advocate illegal activity
- Promote particular services, products, or political organizations
- Support or oppose political candidates, political organizations or ballot propositions
- Infringe on copyrights or trademarks
- Personally identifiable medical information
- Information that may compromise the safety, security or proceedings of public systems or any criminal or civil investigations.
- Comments that are off topic to particular posts
Comment Policy Violations
Multiple violations of the Social Media Comment Policy can result in the offending user being banned from use of City's social media sites.