City of Norfolk Street Sweeping Program
The City of Norfolk has the most comprehensive street sweeping program in Hampton Roads. All streets in the City that have curb and gutters are swept once a month and Downtown Norfolk is swept daily.
- For neighborhoods swept on a two-day cycle, the even side of the roadway will be swept on the first day and the odd side on the second day. This allows for more flexibility with parking.
- Street sweeping uses Mondays as make-up days. If for some reason your neighborhood is missed, we will do our best to return on one of the following two Mondays, but this is not guaranteed. If not possible, the schedule will revert back to the next month.
Street Sweeping Schedule Map (PDF)
Street Sweeping Calendar
Search for your sweeping day by address.
HOLIDAY SCHEDULE 2022
Regularly scheduled sweeping will not occur on holidays.
Makeup days are scheduled as follows:
Tuesday, November 8 (Second Tuesday) Election Day
Makeup day - Monday, November 14
Friday, November 11 (Second Friday) Veteran's Day
Makeup Day - Monday, November 21
Thursday, November 24 (4th Thursday) Thanksgiving Day
Makeup Day - Monday, November 28
Friday, November 25 (4th Friday) Thanksgiving Holiday
Makeup Day - Tuesday, November 29
- Helps reduce pollution and nuisance flooding
- Minimizes stormwater runoff
- Program collects 6,682 tons of debris per year
- Supports Norfolk’s initiative for cleaner waterways
Street Sweeping teams may be unable to sweep due to:
- Construction and road closures
- Freezing temperatures
- Low hanging limbs
- Mechanical/equipment issues
- Rain or hazardous weather conditions
- Vehicles parked beside curbs
Tips to help you assist Street Sweeping crews:
- Do not place yard debris, grass clippings or blow/rake leaves into the street.
- Remove any large limbs or other heavy debris.
- Remove vehicles from the street on scheduled days