Traffic Operations Center
The Traffic Operations Center (TOC) oversees the installation and maintenance of traffic signal infrastructure, traffic signs, pavement markings, streetlights, and provides support for special events.
- Provides around the clock response for 315 signalized intersections, 120 school and pedestrian crossing signals, 22 continuous and activated flashers, and more than 30 dynamic speed limit display signs
- Provides inspection services for all newly installed or upgraded traffic signal items
- Oversees Miss Utility responses for overhead and underground traffic signal-related items
- Removes graffiti from signal-related items
- Removes objects tangled in non-energized lines that are over the public right-of-way
Signs & Pavement Marking Group
- Maintains more than 700 miles of lane markings, 813 crosswalks, and 9,400 pavement marking legends
- Responsible for repair and replacement of more than 40,000 traffic signs city-wide
- Manufactures signs for in-house and specialty projects
- Removes graffiti from signs & posts
- Provides support for various special events
Report an Infrastructure Problem
If you notice a problem that needs fixing as you travel around Norfolk, please take a moment to report it. This is the most effective and efficient way for us to know what needs attention.
- To report a physical problem with a street, such as potholes or broken traffic signals, submit a request through MyNorfolk.
- Report traffic signal malfunctions to the Norfolk Police Non-Emergency Line at (757) 441-5610 or through the Citizens Online Reporting System.
- Other emergencies requiring immediate attention should be reported to 911.