Multimodal Transportation Master Plan
What is the Multimodal Transportation Master Plan?
The Multimodal Norfolk Transportation Master Plan is a plan to expand travel choices for Norfolk’s residents, businesses, and visitors. It's a plan to ensure the city’s transportation investments support its land use and economic development strategies. The plan supports Norfolk’s vision for a safe and prosperous city with a 21st century economy and workforce.
The final Multimodal Transportation Master Plan will include:
- A city-wide Multimodal System Plan
- Policy recommendations
- A multimodal needs assessment
- A program of projects for implementation
Read the Draft Multimodal Transportation Master Plan
The draft Multimodal Transportation Master Plan is available under the Project Resources & Documents page. Take a look! Questions or comments? Email the Multimodal Norfolk project team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The draft Multimodal Transportation Master Plan includes:
- a Multimodal System Plan for Norfolk
- a new Bicycle and Pedestrian Master Plan that builds on the 2014 Strategic Bike Plan
- a new framework for designing projects on multimodal corridors
- a new process for evaluating projects to reflect the Multimodal Norfolk goals
- a new framework for managing curb space
- recommendations for evaluating new technology solutions
- a multimodal needs assessment
- a program of projects for implementation
What is a Multimodal System Plan?
The first step in the Multimodal Norfolk process was to develop a Multimodal System Plan - a layering of the transportation networks and land uses to understand how they work together as a system. The following videos explain the concepts in a Multimodal System Plan and how the maps for Norfolk’s Multimodal System Plan were developed.
What is a Multimodal System Plan? Part 1: Multimodal Districts and Multimodal Centers (5:49) – Learn the basic concepts of a Multimodal System Plan and how Norfolk’s Multimodal Districts and Multimodal Centers were identified.
What is a Multimodal System Plan? Part 2: Multimodal Corridors (5:06) – Learn about the different types of Multimodal Corridors and how they serve different roles in the transportation system.
What is a Multimodal System Plan? Part 3: Modal Emphasis (7:50) – Learn about Modal Emphasis and its role in corridor design.
View the Revised Multimodal System Maps in the Draft Plan
The revised multimodal system maps are available in the draft Multimodal Transportation Master Plan under the Project Resources & Documents page.