Each year, Norfolk experiences bike and pedestrian fatalities and serious injuries along city streets. The victims of these crashes range in age from school children to senior citizens. These injuries and fatalities take place along busy thoroughfares as well as neighborhoods.
Vision Zero sets out to reduce bike and pedestrian fatalities to zero. The initiative will create a safer environment for all who travel in and through Norfolk, whether by foot, bike, scooter or vehicle.
Scooter Safety Tips
- Protect your head - wear a helmet.
- For riders 18 years of age & up.
- Obey all traffic signals.
- Ride in the same direction as traffic.
- For streets posted 25 mph or less.
- Scooters belong on the street - not the sidewalk.
- Park responsibly - out of the street and clear of building entrances and ramps.
- Share the road - not a scooter.
- Don’t drink & ride.
Bike Safety Tips
- Ride on the right in the same direction as other vehicles.
- Obey all traffic laws - including signs, signals and lane markings.
- Yield to traffic when appropriate.
- Be predictable and signal your moves.
- Stay alert and aware.
- Look before turning.
- Watch for parked cars.
Pedestrian Safety Tips
- Walk on sidewalks whenever available.
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections.
- Obey all traffic signals, including crosswalk signals.
- Be visible at all times. Wear bright or reflective clothing or use a flashlight at night.
- Look for vehicles in all directions, including those turning left or right.
- Keep alert at all times; don’t be distracted by electronic devices.