Spread the Word!
Tell your fellow residents about Vision Zero and what they can do to help make their neighborhoods and streets safer. Please download and share the flyer and fact sheet as well as the "Did You Know?" and safety tip cards.
Scooter Safety Tips
- Protect your head - wear a helmet.
- Scooter are for riders 18 years of age & up.
- Obey all traffic signals.
- Ride in the same direction as traffic.
- Scooters are for streets posted 25 mph or less.
- Scooters belong on the street - not the sidewalk.
- Park responsibly - use a designated parking corral or out of the street and clear of building entrances and ramps.
- Share the road - not a scooter.
- Don’t drink & ride.
- Download the Scooter Safety Rack Card
Bike Safety Tips
- Ride on the right in the same direction as other vehicles.
- Obey all traffic laws - including signs, signals and lane markings.
- Park responsibly - use designated racks or parking corrals.
- Have a front white light and rear red light.
- Be predictable and signal your moves.
- Yield to traffic when appropriate.
- Watch for parked cars and doors that may open.
- Wear a helmet and bright or reflective clothing.
- Stay alert and aware.
- Look before turning.
- Don't drink & ride.
- Download the Bike Safety Rack Card
Pedestrian Safety Tips
- Walk on sidewalks whenever available.
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections.
- Obey all traffic signals, including crosswalk signals.
- Be visible at all times. Wear bright or reflective clothing or use a flashlight at night.
- Look for vehicles in all directions, including those turning left or right.
- Keep alert at all times; don’t be distracted by electronic devices.
- Download the Pedestrian Safety Rack Card
Driver Safety Tips
- Always wear a seat belt.
- Follow the posted speed limits.
- Always watch for pedestrians, bicyclists, scooter riders, motorcyclists and other drivers.
- Move over for bicyclists and emergency vehicles.
- Pay attention to the road - put away cell phones and other distractions.
- Use headlights when your wipers are on.
- Leave safe distance between your vehicle and others.
- Don't drink & drive.
- Download the Driver Safety Rack Card
Vision Zero Network – https://visionzeronetwork.org/
Dangerous by Design – https://smartgrowthamerica.org/dangerous-by-design/
Toward Zero Deaths – https://www.towardzerodeaths.org/
National Safety Council: Road to Zero – https://www.nsc.org/road-safety/get-involved/road-to-zero
Virginia Pedestrian Safety Action Plan – http://www.virginiadot.org/business/resources/VDOT_PSAP_Report_052118_with_Appendix_A_B_C.pdf https://www.arcgis.com/apps/View/index.html?appid=ae073e60495948deafc34d08812dfb20