Scooter Safety Tips
- Protect your head - wear a helmet.
- Scooter are for riders 18 years of age & up.
- Obey all traffic signals.
- Ride in the same direction as traffic.
- Scooters are for streets posted 25 mph or less.
- Scooters belong on the street - not the sidewalk.
- Park responsibly - use a designated parking corral or out of the street and clear of building entrances and ramps.
- Share the road - not a scooter.
- Don’t drink & ride.
- Download the Scooter Safety Rack Card
Bike Safety Tips
- Ride on the right in the same direction as other vehicles.
- Obey all traffic laws - including signs, signals and lane markings.
- Park responsibly - use designated racks or parking corrals.
- Have a front white light and rear red light.
- Be predictable and signal your moves.
- Yield to traffic when appropriate.
- Watch for parked cars and doors that may open.
- Wear a helmet and bright or reflective clothing.
- Stay alert and aware.
- Look before turning.
- Don't drink & ride.
- Download the Bike Safety Rack Card
Pedestrian Safety Tips
- Walk on sidewalks whenever available.
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections.
- Obey all traffic signals, including crosswalk signals.
- Be visible at all times. Wear bright or reflective clothing or use a flashlight at night.
- Look for vehicles in all directions, including those turning left or right.
- Keep alert at all times; don’t be distracted by electronic devices.
- Download the Pedestrian Safety Rack Card
Driver Safety Tips
- Always wear a seat belt.
- Follow the posted speed limits.
- Always watch for pedestrians, bicyclists, scooter riders, motorcyclists and other drivers.
- Move over for bicyclists and emergency vehicles.
- Pay attention to the road - put away cell phones and other distractions.
- Use headlights when your wipers are on.
- Leave safe distance between your vehicle and others.
- Don't drink & drive.
- Download the Driver Safety Rack Card
Vision Zero Network – https://visionzeronetwork.org/
Dangerous by Design – https://smartgrowthamerica.org/dangerous-by-design/
Toward Zero Deaths – https://www.towardzerodeaths.org/
National Safety Council: Road to Zero – https://www.nsc.org/road-safety/get-involved/road-to-zero
Virginia Pedestrian Safety Action Plan – http://www.virginiadot.org/business/resources/VDOT_PSAP_Report_052118_with_Appendix_A_B_C.pdf https://www.arcgis.com/apps/View/index.html?appid=ae073e60495948deafc34d08812dfb20