The Gateway Academy is an opportunity for eligible residents to gain knowledge in workforce readiness, life skills and vocational training to obtain an industry recognized credential. The goal is for participants to complete the initial Academy classes which will prepare them for the vocational training experience. Upon completion of Academy classes, the participant will be eligible to have training fully funded with supportive services. The vocational training programs offered can lead to obtaining certifications and securing employment in this field. Participants will receive assistance with their job search and may be placed on volunteer sites to help build their skills, resume and networking.
- Vocational Training
- Individualized Case Management
- Resume Development
- Career Assessments & Planning
- Job Coaching
- Workforce Readiness
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Supportive Services @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Must have ability to participate in virtual services (access to phone, email, computer and/or internet)
Must meet eligibility in one of the below categories;
Norfolk resident receiving SNAP benefits and at least 1 criteria below:
- Misdemeanor or felony convictions
- 18-49 years old with no dependents on SNAP case or exemptions (ABAWDS)
- Child Support case with TANF debt owed
- Youth/Young Adult transitioning from foster care between the age of 17-27 yrs old
CARES Project Eligibility
Norfolk resident and meet both of the criteria noted below;
- Low to moderate income
- Employment impacted by COVID-19 by either furlough, termination, reduction in hours, layoff, etc.
Available Training Programs
Available trainings may include;
- Certified Nursing Assistant* (must TABE test 9th grade and above)
- Certified Professional Food Manager (must TABE test 5th grade and above)
- Commercial Driver's License - Class A (must have a valid driver's license)
- CompTIA A+ Certification* (HS Diploma or GED required)
- Construction & Facilities Technology
- Pharmacy Technician* (HS Diploma or GED required)
- Medical Billing & Coding* (HS Diploma or GED required)
*Some criminal convictions may exclude participation in training program.
**There may be additional requirements to participate in training programs as established by local training provider's such as education level, background checks, Driver's License, etc.