Government - Internal City StructureBusiness - Tools For GrowthServices - Provided by the CityCommunity - Resident EngagementEnjoy Norfolk - Leisure & VisitorsHow Do I - Information Center
Elizabeth River with a Tugboat, Sailboat and the USS Wisconsin
Click to Home

Go To Search
Special Exceptions
Applications | Process Brochure

When is a special exception necessary?

A special exception is needed when a use is proposed that may require a careful review of its location, design, or configuration to mitigate its impact on surrounding properties.

What is the process?

Applicants must first submit an application for special exception to the Department of City Planning.  Applications are then considered at a public hearing before the City Planning Commission (CPC), who makes a recommendation for consideration by the City Council.

Additional application requirements
Certain special exception uses require applicants to complete additional steps prior to submission of applications.  Contact the Planning Department to determine whether any additional steps will be needed.

How long does the process take?

The typical special exception request takes 2 to 3 months to complete the process from beginning to end.  This may vary, however, as some items may require additional time to process or review, prior to CPC consideration.  After CPC consideration, Special Exceptions are typically heard by City Council approximately one month later.  Contact the Department of City Planning to determine whether any additional time will be required.

How much does it cost?

Fee Schedule

For more information, contact the Department of City Planning at 757-664-4752 or Email.